[bestbits] Civil society response to NETmundial 2014 outcome text open for endorsement

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Apr 30 09:06:52 EDT 2014

Hi,

Niels is from Article 19 -- their Brazilian chapter was involved in the
campaign to ask for president Rousseff to veto an article, so it would
The curious thing (showing complete lack of political tactics) is that
they wanted Dilma to announce she would veto the article *during
NETmundial*.

Can anyone imagine that Dilma, after the brutal political struggle to
get MC approved by the Senate just in time for signing at NETmundial,
would instead declare she would veto one article and blow up the
tremendous political opportunity to sign a worldwide landmark document
of principles?

Also, Niels should describe more precisely who were signing the declaration.

Finally, it is wrong to say (as they did) that net neutrality was not
included in the NETmundial document. Unless they cannot understand
English, this is the paragraph on it:

"UNIFIED AND UNFRAGMENTED SPACE -- Internet should continue to be a
globally coherent, interconnected, stable, unfragmented, scalable and
accessible network-of-networks, based on a common set of unique
identifiers and that allows data packets/information to flow freely
end-to-end regardless of the lawful content."

Since the term "net neutrality" was causing problems for
consensus-building, that was what we (the executive committee) managed
to do. It was also recognized that the issue is not simple and merits
further discussion, as stated in the Roadmap document. But one cannot
say it was not reasonably dealt with in the Principles document.

Stephanie Perrin saved the [civil society's] day by following up with a
very balanced and positive speech.

frt rgds

--c.a.