[bestbits] Re: [governance] netmundial 0.1

Lorena Jaume-Palasi lorena at collaboratory.de
Tue Apr 29 16:19:45 EDT 2014

+1 +congratulations Jeanette Hofmann and all other civil society, academia
& technical community representatives you made multistakeholder a fact.
Sure, there is room for improvement (the multistakeholder model is still a
baby) but with your work it is definitely here to stay. Thanks to you and
also to all predecesors who seeded the path!

> I completely agree with Jeanette's suggestions. We had great ideas but
> lacked coordination and did not suggest concrete wording.
>
> We should divide responsibility amongst each other for specific topics
> and have a team working on alternative language. The team should have
> already done in-depth work on understanding the stance of other
> stakeholders at other fora including the UN on that particular topic.
> The CS chairs need to be assisted the way business reps were assisting
> their person. There needs to be real time coordination between the reps
> , the team working on a specific issue and lawyers' who can advise on
> alternative proposals along with other contributors.
>

> On 04/26/2014 04:28 PM, Ian Peter wrote:
> > Thanks for that Jeanette, that fills in a lot of detail. And having
> > observed you working during the final drafting compilation session (or
> > at least we thought it was) I know you would not have given in on some
> > of these points easily. There will probably be a few other things
> > about the HLMC and its composition (50% government) we could look at
> > in refining the model.
> >
> > You mentioned two things which I quote below as good lessons for us to
> > learn
> >
> > 1. (Jeanette's words) In other parts, civil society could have done
> > better by simply
> > submitting concrete wording and back that up with several statements by
> > several organizations. So many interventions during the track sessions
> > were made for the transcript only since they did not refer to specific
> > paragraphs or did not suggest concrete wording!
> >
> > IP - I agree completely. (even if some of the specific words we did
> > come up with made it through the multistakeholder drafting process but
> > got killed at the HLMC)
> >
> > 2. (Jeanette's words)
> > Instead of lamenting about the specific outcome, I think we should be
> > more pragmatic and have a discussion about how to do better and become
> > more effective when the next opportunity of multistakeholder drafting
> > comes up.
> >
> > IP - I agree again.
> >
> > 3. My first suggestion. It would be helpful in a two day meeting
> > structure if we could start discussing the text before 5.30pm on Day
> > One. The time lost through endless speeches and plenaries and running
> > overtime on first day was not helpful.
> >
> > 4. My second suggestion. The time allowed for drafting was
> > insufficient. As in most writing situations, a second draft for
> > comment is useful. And the opportunity to comment on a final draft
> > before publication and final endorsement would also be useful. That
> > might take more time and such a process might actually need another
> > day. But it would lead to better outcomes.
> >
> > Anyway - we did really well in many ways, but yes we can learn from
> > this experience.
> >

> > Ian
> >

> > -----Original Message----- From: Jeanette Hofmann
> > Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2014 1:01 AM
> [...]

Lorena Jaume-Palasí, M.A. ∙ Coordinator of the Global Internet Governance
(GIG) Ohu
 Internet & Gesellschaft Co:llaboratory e.V.
www.collaboratory.de ∙
Newsletter<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=collaboratory&loc=de_DE>
 ∙ Facebook <http://goo.gl/eJVZn> ∙ Twitter <http://goo.gl/sUFM5> ∙
<http://www.youtube.com/user/CollaboratoryVideo?feature=CCAQwRs%3D>Youtube<http://www.youtube.com/user/CollaboratoryVideo?feature=CCAQwRs%3D>