[bestbits]

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Sun Apr 27 07:44:09 EDT 2014

A little reflection

Like some of you, I was thinking how far we came from
INET/IFWP/ICANN/WSIS/WGIG/IGF days to NETMundial when Adam and Jeanette
were reading the final outcome statement and receiving strong standing
ovations.

Adam and Jeanette were the 2nd or 3rd generation of the Co-coordinators of
the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus, at the days of WSIS Tunis
phase if I am not mistaken. YJ Park and Wolfgang Kleinwacther were the
first ones at the first WSIS process.

At the initial WSIS process. not only them, but most Civil Society members
were not given much role other than making statements within limited and
controlled frameworks. Yes we had the bureau, made negotiations with
government reps, but not in the MSH modality of say "working together". By
and large, we were the "outsiders" trying to lobby "them".

Compared with that, civil society members in the EMC and HLMC were
"insiders" and often "lobbied" by not only other CS members but also by
other stakeholders.
They were taking the lead in the drafting sessions. IF they, or all of us,
CS members were not there, there would be no NETMundial and its outcome.

It is not their (CS members at EMC and HLMC) efforts per se, but, but our
collective energy, blood sweat and tears, tough and sharp arguments among
CS circle, engagement, passion, patience, all of these that resulted in
building-up of the credibility we today got at NETMundial.

In that regard, I would say, congratulations to Adam and Jeanette, but also
to Nnenna, Marilia, Carlos, Stephanie, Luis, Subi and all others who worked
hard in NETMundial process including those who did not get the explicit
role, but nevertheless played important roles here and there.

I felt we are maturing and making good progress. Of course, we still have a
lot to achieve.

Now, going forward!

izumi

--