[bestbits] Re: [governance] netmundial 0.1

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Apr 26 16:28:45 EDT 2014

Thanks for that Jeanette, that fills in a lot of detail. And having observed
you working during the final drafting compilation session (or at least we
thought it was) I know you would not have given in on some of these points
easily. There will probably be a few other things about the HLMC and its
composition (50% government) we could look at in refining the model.

You mentioned two things which I quote below as good lessons for us to learn

1. (Jeanette's words) In other parts, civil society could have done better
by simply
submitting concrete wording and back that up with several statements by
several organizations. So many interventions during the track sessions
were made for the transcript only since they did not refer to specific
paragraphs or did not suggest concrete wording!

IP - I agree completely. (even if some of the specific words we did come up
with made it through the multistakeholder drafting process but got killed at
the HLMC)

2. (Jeanette's words)
Instead of lamenting about the specific outcome, I think we should be
more pragmatic and have a discussion about how to do better and become
more effective when the next opportunity of multistakeholder drafting
comes up.

IP - I agree again.

3. My first suggestion. It would be helpful in a two day meeting structure
if we could start discussing the text before 5.30pm on Day One. The time
lost through endless speeches and plenaries and running overtime on first
day was not helpful.

4. My second suggestion. The time allowed for drafting was insufficient. As
in most writing situations, a second draft for comment is useful. And the
opportunity to comment on a final draft before publication and final
endorsement would also be useful. That might take more time and such a
process might actually need another day. But it would lead to better
outcomes.

Anyway - we did really well in many ways, but yes we can learn from this
experience.

Ian