[bestbits] multistakeholderism: a quick survey

JOSEFSSON Erik erik.josefsson at europarl.europa.eu
Wed Apr 23 12:55:32 EDT 2014

Thanks for asking Achal.

If I would have signed the campaign http://wepromise.eu as a candidate to the European Parliament I would have made it an election promise to defend "the principle of multistakeholderism".

That means that I "support free, open, bottom-up, and multi-stakeholder models of coordinating the Internet resources and standards - names, numbers, addresses etc" and that I "support measures which seek to ensure the capacity of representative civil society to participate in multi-stakeholder forums." Further, I "oppose any attempts by corporate, governmental or intergovernmental agencies to take control of Internet governance."

Since MSism seems to be of increasing importance, I think it is best to ask Joe (in cc) who is responsible for the campaign if anyone has issues with it.

My very rudimentary personal view is basically that it's a bad idea to institutionalise conflicting competences.

Best regards.

//Erik