[bestbits] Re: [governance] NetMundial opening ceremony address (Civil Society) Draft speech plan

Mike Godwin (mgodwin@INTERNEWS.ORG) mgodwin at INTERNEWS.ORG
Mon Apr 21 22:44:17 EDT 2014

Nnenna, I think it can’t be overstressed how central trust is. Historically, the internet we have come to love has been built on trusted individuals, institutions, and processes — sometimes informal institutions and processes — and if we can keep the tradition alive going forward, that would be one of the highest things we could achieve.

It also seems to me to be a good basis on which to build trust with regard to empowering individuals through the internet, which I think is a central democratic goal in this century.

So, definitely +1.

—Mike

--
Mike Godwin | Senior Legal Advisor, Global Internet Policy Project
mgodwin at internews.org<mailto:mgodwin at internews.org> | Mobile 415-793-4446
Skype mnemonic1026
Address 1640 Rhode Island Ave., 7th Floor,  Washington, DC 20036 USA

INTERNEWS | Local Voices. Global Change.
www.internews.org<http://www.internews.org/> | @internews<http://www.twitter.com/internews> | facebook.com/internews<http://www.facebook.com/internews>

From: Nnenna Nwakanma <nnenna75 at gmail.com<mailto:nnenna75 at gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, April 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM
To: Marie GEORGES <marie.georges at noos.fr<mailto:marie.georges at noos.fr>>
Cc: Governance <governance at lists.igcaucus.org<mailto:governance at lists.igcaucus.org>>, "<bestbits at lists.bestbits.net<mailto:bestbits at lists.bestbits.net>>" <bestbits at lists.bestbits.net<mailto:bestbits at lists.bestbits.net>>, Discussion List on African Internet Governance Forum <aisi-ig-l at dgroups.org<mailto:aisi-ig-l at dgroups.org>>
Subject: [bestbits] Re: [governance] NetMundial opening ceremony address (Civil Society) Draft speech plan

Hi Marie, all

I hope I will.  Trust is one that is a principle as well as a road map. And  I am convinced that it is key. And like many colleagues have noted,  all actions that destroy trust destroy the Internet (non acceptance of Net neutrality, unwarranted surveillance, threats of cyberwar etc)

I know it is a challenge to build, as stakeholders enlarge and the stakes get higher...

But build it, we must

All for now

Nnenna