[bestbits] QUESTION TO ADAM - NETmundial documents online for comment

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Apr 17 05:34:22 EDT 2014

Hi Carolina,

On Apr 17, 2014, at 5:59 AM, Carolina Rossini wrote:

> Adam,
>
> Will the organizers consolidate the comments into a new document?!

No, my understanding is the secretariat will produce a compilation of comments received.  This is the hope, and I hope there'll be time.

> If no....

Comments close on April 21, the meeting starts on April 23.  1 day might be enough to produce a compilation.  Given the time available, attempting to produced a new consolidated document might be unwise.

> why should we be commenting on it? (this second is just a rhetoric question to understand the process)

I don't really understand your question.  But perhaps following helps -- this just my personal opinion, not EMC etc.

Anyone can make comments online.  All comments are visible to everyone and allow all participants (including remote) to see where changes are being suggested, what direction has some agreement and what less so.  We can comment on other's comments, agree/disagree etc.  We can rate each paragraph (not sure if that will be a useful tool?)  All this should guide discussion during the meeting.

I hope by the morning of April 23, Sao Paulo, all of us will have made the comments we want to make (and please do it sooner not later: the intention is to share and inform each other), will have seen what our colleagues have to say, and have a general sense of what parts of the documents are supported, less supported, which are polarizing, perhaps even where we can see need/opportunity for further work (after NETmundial, not extending NETmundial).

Carolina, does this sound reasonable?

BTW, if you print the page to PDF all comments made at the time will be included on the resulting file.

Adam