[governance] RE: [bestbits] Nnenna to Keynote at Netmundial - Civil Society major issues

Anne Jellema anne at webfoundation.org
Wed Apr 16 03:56:50 EDT 2014

Hi all
Resource issues have been mentioned several times in proposals for Nnenna's
speech:

- Access issues, closing the digital divide(s)
- Resources needed for civil society to play its part in IG processes on a
more equal footing with other 'stakeholders'
- Resources needed for the IGF to function well

I strongly agree that these issues need to be raised. I think we will be
most effective if we also put forward proposals for acting on them.

I wonder if we want to suggest that a portion of domain name revenue should
be set aside in a public benefit fund to help close the above resource
gaps. Clearly the design and governance of such a fund would be incredibly
hard to get right. But at this stage, it's a matter of pushing for a broad
principle: i.e. that a part of the hundreds of millions raised every year
in domain name fees (ICANN alone will earn $200m in 2014, according to
their 2014 budget statement) should be reinvested in public benefit efforts
that would contribute to achieving the admirable rights and principles
listed in the outcome document.

Additionally, in tackling the first point (access/digital divide), is there
broad consensus among us that the internet should be considered a common
good and/or a public utility?

Best
Anne

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 7:45 AM, Joana Varon <joana at varonferraz.com> wrote:

> Ian has just read my mind: Nnenna, please, thank Mr Snowden, for slightly
> changing the geopolitics!
>
> Also, it seams you will be sharing the stage with our president Dilma!
> +1 to anriette's and Anja's points + my potpourri from the topics that
> kept coming in this thread with some additions:
>
> - Surveillance and the right to privacy
>
> - digital divide is still an issue
>
> - net neutrality shall be reinforced
>
> - IANA transition shall not overcome the debate, but transparency and
> inclusiveness in this process, beyond ICANN community shall be enforced
>
> - multistakeholderism is not enough, we need a bottom up democratic
> participation, which enables balance to the lack of power and influence
> within stakeholder groups. But also checks and balances, transparency,
> accountability and eventually sanctions
>
> - we need to increase meaningful participation from people in developing
> parts of the world  (I guess at the end we are all very privileged to be
> able to engage and understand this debate, as well as responsible for the
> outcome)
>
> - need for capacity building
>
> and there was a lot of reference to trust trust trust.. So, I guess, the
> web we want, is the web we trust.
>
> ;)
>

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 5:25 PM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
>
>>   and thank Edward Snowden for bringing us all together

Anne Jellema
CEO
+27 061 36 9352 (ZA)
+1 202 684 6885 (US)
@afjellema

*World Wide Web Foundation | 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington DC,
20005, USA | www.webfoundation.org <http://www.webfoundation.org/> |
Twitter: @webfoundation*