[IRPCoalition] [bestbits] free flow of information @ Netmundial - Civil Society major issues

Mike Godwin (mgodwin@INTERNEWS.ORG) mgodwin at INTERNEWS.ORG
Tue Apr 15 13:31:54 EDT 2014

Fwiw, I think free flow of information falls squarely under Article 19.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 15, 2014, at 12:15 PM, "Matthias C. Kettemann" <matthias.kettemann at gmail.com<mailto:matthias.kettemann at gmail.com>> wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. I think the case can be made that "free flow of information" is an implied condition for everyone to seek, receive, impart information (Article 19 UDHR).  This argument is strengthened by the the language of Art. 19 (2) ICCPR ..... freedom "to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice". That sounds very much like being premised upon the free flow of information. A UN resolution doesn't instantly change the character of a right. The UDHR is by and large customary law, the ICCPR signed by practically all states. Further, the free flow of information is an essential precondition to exercisizing FoE online - the 2011 and 2012 Special Rapporteur reports by Frank La Rue are helpful in explaining this. So: custom and treaty (and some recent explaining by the Special Rapporteur): You won't get much stronger commitments in international law.

Kind regards
Matthias