[bestbits] Agenda for Civil Society pre-NetMundial Coordination Meeting

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Apr 15 10:48:26 EDT 2014

Dear all,
On behalf of civil society groups organising the Civil Society pre-NetMundial Coordination Meeting (herein “CS pre-NM”), we would like to share with you the meeting agenda as follows.
The “CS pre-NM” is a gathering of over 90 civil society groups from around the world involved in internet governance and broader internet-related public policy debates regionally and globally. This is an action-oriented group with the aim to facilitate the expression of civil society views and feed them into the discussions at NetMundial and beyond. You can find a preliminary list of civil society representatives attending the meeting here1. Example initiatives and statements from members of this group can be found here2.
The agenda is focused on setting points of consensus, discussing strategic action and distilling key messages for members of civil society that are able to pursue common goals, based on 1) defending fundamental Human Rights; 2) ensuring the Open, Decentralized and Interoperable Architecture of the Web and 3) fostering an Open, Inclusive, Democratic and Decentralised Multistakeholder model of Internet Governance.
Based in this three pillars, in order to have a clear mapping of the state of consensus within Civil Society, we are convening 3 working groups (Principles, Roadmap and IANA transition) of resource persons that will be focused until the day of our meeting on analyzing CS contributions and comments posted at NetMundial platform to deliver: a) a set of bullet points of possible ground of consensus and b) a set of questions around key issues that will require us to have agreement on during our meeting. Our hope is to honor different CS points of view presented so far, and quickly air disagreements and the arguments for each approach.
We hope we can count on your collaboration to achieve our goals and, in the end, have a clear message from civil society that enable those who seek to refine their tactics and strategies for the Conference to do so.
AGENDA:
Venue: Espaço Missões, Centro Cultural Sao Paulo, Rua Vergueiro 1000, Sao Paulo. http://www.centrocultural.sp.gov.br/
9:30am - 10:00 - Introductions: NETmundial 2014 introduction and Goal of our meeting and rules of engagement
Welcome and goal of the meeting presented by organizers: Joana Varon (Brazil), Jeremy Malcolm (BestBits), Valeria Betancourt (APC), Veridiana Alimonti (IDEC, Brazil) and Laura Tresca (Article 19, Brazil) (3-5min)
Briefing by EMC CS reps: Marilia Maciel, Adam Peake [TBC], Carlos Afonso [TBC]
10:00-11:15am Principles: Guaranteeing protection of Human Rights and Ensuring the Open and Interoperable Architecture of the Web
Facilitator: Anriette Esterhuysen (APC, South Africa) [TBC]
Goals: clarify and set the common ground regarding core principles for IG that this group of CS will defend at NetMundial and in talks among 	other stakeholder groups
Resource persons** for Internet governance principles: Matthew Shears, Carolina Rossini, Anriette Esterhuysen/Valeria Betancourt and Veridiana Alimonti. Volunteers are welcome, please, just ping any of the resource persons.
11:15-11:30am - Coffee Break
11:30 - 13:00 Roadmap: towards a coordinated, decentralized, inclusive and open multistakeholder model of Internet Governance
Facilitators: Matthew Shears (CDT, USA and UK, with international work) [TBC]
Goal: clarify and set the common ground regarding a coordinated, decentralized, democratic, inclusive and open multistakeholder model of Internet Governance
Resource persons for Internet governance principles: Anja Kovacs, Jeremy Malcolm, Joana Varon, Carolina Rossini. On IANA transition: 	Niels ten Oever, Rafik Dammak, Stephanie Perrin. Volunteers are welcome, please, just ping any of the resource persons.
13:00 - 14:00 - NetMundial: The rules of the game: how to maximize civil society impact in the interventions and the meetings to follow
Facilitator: Bia Barbosa (Intervozes, Brazil)
Brief Notes by Daniel Fink (Executive Director at NETmundial 2014) [TBC]
Goal: By this time, resource persons from the previous sessions shall deliver a set of bullet points as final agreements and names who have volunteered to deliver the bullet points in NetMundial plenary. These documents will serve as input for this session that have to goal to build the strategy about how to deliver these points, vis a vis NetMundial dynamic for interactions in the floor, so we end with a clear, consolidated and final matrix of interactions at NetMundial plenary (which shall be made public soon).
14:00 - 15:00 - Lunch (provided by the meeting organizers) - CCSP restaurant
15:00 - 16:00 - Media Strategy, Hubs for remote participation and Stakeholder relations
Goal: brief the media hub on our main points, and briefing for the following open sessions with the technical community and governments included suggested strategy to engage with them on conflictual issues.
Media strategy facilitators: Renata Avila (WebWeWant, Guatemala) and Jyoti Panday (CIS, India)
Technical community relations: Avri Doria (XXX, XXX)
Government relations: Jovan Kurbalija (Diplo Foundation) and Gene Kimmelman (Public Knowledge, USA)
16:00 - 17:00: Open session with technical community
Facilitator: William Drake / Marilia Maciel? [TBC]
Comments: Fadi (ICANN) [TBC]
Goal: learn core issues for technical community and communicate core CS concerns/positions. Explore opportunities for collaboration.
17:00-17:15 - Coffee Break
17:30 - 19:00: Meeting(s) with invited governments (bilateral or mixed - TBC)
Facilitator(s): Marilia Maciel (CTS/FGV, Brazil)
Goal: Learn core issues for governments and communicate core CS concerns/positions. Explore opportunities for collaboration.
19hrs- Dinner on your own/ engage in activities at the Arena (ps. Lula and Brazilian civil society activits will be talking about MarcoCivil at ArenaMundial at 19:00)
** ROLE OF RESOURCE PERSONS: Resource persons shall develop a set of bullet points of consensus and a set of questions (stress tests) around key issue areas that will most likely arise and that will require us to have discourse and agreement on during our meeting. They will work as a fluid working group analyzing CS contributions and comments posted at NetMundial platform so final achievements are as inclusive as possible. They will have 15 min to present this briefing in the beginning of their respective session.

Your faithfully,
The organizers
Association for Progressive Communications – APC (Global), Article 19 (Global), Best Bits (Global), Center for Studies on Freedom of Expression – CELE (Argentina), CTS/FGV (Brazil), Derechos Digitales (Chile), Global Partners Digital (UK), Institutito de Defesa do Consumidor – IDEC (Brazil), Instituto de Tecnologia e Sociedade – ITS (Brazil), and the Web We Want (Global)

1 http://bestbits.net/events/netmundial-coordination/
2 http://bestbits.net/

--
Jeremy Malcolm PhD LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet lawyer, ICT policy advocate, geek

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/pgp.