[bestbits] free flow of information @ Netmundial - Civil Society major issues

Anne Jellema anne at webfoundation.org
Tue Apr 15 10:33:24 EDT 2014

Jeanette, thanks - the example serves your purpose of illustrating the
complexity of positioning  in the textual negotiations. On a side note,
though, I'm surprised to hear you say that you have opposed free flow of
information on grounds that it is not a human right. Article 19 of the UDHR
states that:

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right
includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and *to seek,
receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers*.

Best

Anne

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Am 15.04.2014 14:54, schrieb parminder:
>
>> Not only net neutrality has been removed,
>>
> 'free flow of information' which figured twice in the earlier (leaked)
> draft has been removed from both places..
>
> in my capacity as a HLMC member I have spoken up against free flow of
> information in the human rights section because free flow of information is
> not a human right. Ironically, someone from the business sector objected to
> removing this term from the human rights section.
>
> I am reporting this to illustrate that the negotiation of the text hasn't
> always followed the distribution of power and interest that some on this
> list may assume. The draft document represents victories and defeats on all
> sides.
>
> jeanette

Anne Jellema
CEO
+27 061 36 9352 (ZA)
+1 202 684 6885 (US)
@afjellema

*World Wide Web Foundation | 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington DC,
20005, USA | www.webfoundation.org <http://www.webfoundation.org/> |
Twitter: @webfoundation*