[bestbits] A Global Conversation for a Feminist Internet

Shawna Finnegan shawna at apc.org
Mon Apr 7 11:58:22 EDT 2014

Dear all,

(Apologies for cross-posting)

APC's 'Take Back The Tech' campaign is hosting a global conversation
this week about how you imagine a feminist internet.

These conversations will input to an evolving framework of Feminist
Principles of the Internet to be developed at a global meeting on
Gender, Sexuality and the Internet that will take place in Malaysia
from this Friday, April 12th.

You can join the conversation on Twitter, and/or reply to this message
with your thoughts.

*A Global Conversation for a Feminist Internet*

Is a feminist internet possible? How has the internet shifted the way we
understand power, politics, activism and agency? Join us in a global
conversation on how the internet can strengthen and better facilitate
feminist activism and what you think are key issues we need to engage
with and interrogate to realise its transformative potential.

How are we discussing the commodification of our bodies, behaviors,
thoughts and data? How has the internet disrupted or reinforced
capitalist frameworks? Is the internet enabling greater diversity of
sexual expression or growing opportunities for the policing of sexuality?

Do we rely too much on the internet for our work? Does activism 2.0
simply satisfy our need to "do something" without truly effecting change?

Take part in the debate. Define and question what it takes to create a
feminist internet.

Join the conversation all week on Twitter.
#imagineafeministinternet #takebackthetech @takebackthetech
<https://twitter.com/takebackthetech>

- --
Shawna Finnegan
Human rights and the Internet
Programme Worker
Association for Progressive Communications
@shawnafinnegan