[bestbits] IG on the 24th HRC session

Valeria Betancourt valeriab at apc.org
Fri Sep 20 11:39:42 EDT 2013

Dear all,

Sharing this information with you all.

Pakistan, speaking on behalf of Cuba, Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Uganda,
Ecuador, Russia, Indonesia, Bolivia, Iran, and China, highlighted at
HRC24 the need to protect the right to privacy as an essential element
of free expression, citing the International Covenant on Civil and
Political Rights (ICCPR) and La Rue’s report. The statement explicitly
criticized the role of major international internet and
telecommunication technology companies in violating privacy. It also
explicitly made the links between the allegations of mass state
surveillance and the need for reforming global internet governance. To
quote the statement directly:

"The existing mechanisms like the Internet Governance Forum
established under paragraph 72 of the World Summit on Information
Society- Tunis Agenda have not been able to deliver the desired
results. A strategic rethinking of the global internet governance
mechanism is inevitable. Further development of an international
mechanism in the context of ‘Enhanced cooperation’ within the WSIS
Tunis Agenda can be a concrete way forward. However we will need to be
sincere in our efforts to ensure a transparent, free, fair and
respectful international intergovernmental mechanism of internet
governance and one that also ensures the right to privacy."

The full intervention by Pakistan is available at http://www.apc.org/en/system/files/HRC24_Pakistan_20130919.pdf

Best,

Valeria