[bestbits] [call for feedback] visual timeline on IG processes

Joana Varon joana at varonferraz.com
Wed Sep 18 14:43:23 EDT 2013

Dear all,

In light of recent discussions about the BB Bali agenda and how to frame
the session on engagement in internet governance processes, it seems timely
to share this mapping of global internet governance processes for your
feedback .

 In an effort to better focus our advocacy efforts and understand where
main discussions about global internet governance are taking place over the
next year, Deborah Brown (Access) and Lea (Global Partners Digital), and I
have developed this visual timeline of what we saw as the most relevant
events in global internet governance processes.

We were specifically aiming to: 1) identify forums where internet
governance is being discussed/decided over the next year; and 2) identify
avenues for participation for civil society to influence those processes.
We have taken two particular processes and their relevant outcomes as our
end points – the *ITU Plenipotentiary 2014* and the *WSIS+10 review event
in 2015* – and weaved other forums around them.

Here is the visual timeline: http://bestbits.net/wp-uploads/diagram.html

A few features to make note of:

   -

   We have divided the landscape into several processes – the broader UN
   processes, the ITU processes, the WSIS review process, the IGF and ICANN.
   We did not include OECD as it is not a global process, but it could
   potentially be added (as could other processes).
   -

   The timeline period runs from the beginning of 2013 to the end of 2014,
   but it shall be gradually developed further at least until 2015, as more
   information becomes available;
   -

   Events contain hyperlinks to relevant documentation (e.g. agendas, draft
   resolutions, outcome documents). To access the documents, please, click in
   the respective squares.

While we put considerable thought into what to include and how to visualize
this, these choices were inevitably arbitrary. To make the tool useful for
the broader BB group, we would be interested to receive your feedback.
Based on your initial feedback, we are planning to work on this tool with a
designer who will help us make it more user-friendly and, hopefully,
interactive. With this in mind, we are particularly interested in hearing
your thoughts on:

   -

   Content: are there other processes or documents you would like to see
   included?
   -

   Presentation: any comments on size of boxes, text, colours, etc. (this
   will be particularly useful in the next stage of the project)
   -

   Interactive: what interactive features would you like to see
   incorporated into the document? Ideas can include option of hiding or
   highlighting certain elements of the map, filtering the map by
   body/process/outcome, etc.

We would appreciate your feedback is *September 30th* (our individual
emails are below)

 We hope this mapping will be a useful tool for civil society to strategize
and are looking forward to presenting it at Best Bits meeting in Bali.

Looking forward to receiving your feedback.

Best,

Joana

Deborah: deborah at accessnow.org
Lea: lea at gp-digital.org