[bestbits] GV blogger detained in Bahrain -- we need your help!

Ellery Biddle ellery.biddle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 17:14:21 EDT 2013

Hi all,

As many of you have seen in recent weeks, Global Voices has been working to
advocate for the release of Bahraini blogger Mohammed Hassan (Safybh), a GV
author who has been in detention in Bahrain for over six weeks now. This press
release<http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/2013/09/03/press-release-internet-activists-demand-release-of-bahraini-blogger-mohammed-hassan/>contains
basic details that we've been able to gather from friends and
people in country about his situation.

We are growing more and more worried about his situation every day -- those
on the ground are fairly certain that he has been tortured and forced to
confess to charges related to participating in demonstrations, "inciting
hatred" against the government, etc.

Safy, as he's known online, is a thoughtful young guy who has been very
involved with non-violent movements for progressive reforms in Bahrain. He
has also worked as a media "fixer", helping foreign media teams navigate
the country, connect with sources, etc.

In addition to quieter things that I won't discuss here, we've been trying
to get more international attention on his case, through media, NGO
statements, etc. Thus far, there's been plenty of activity on Twitter
(#FreeSafy) and we have a beautiful Tumblr <http://freesafy.tumblr.com/>of
#FreeSafy pictures, but not much response from big media "influencers".

If any of you can help in any way, have ideas on what we can do to keep
pushing this forward, or have expert knowledge on Bahrain, please let me
know. Happy to discuss on or off list.

Thanks all,

Ellery

--