[bestbits] Our statement gets to the Br media!

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 12:47:20 EDT 2013

Here via GoogleTranslate is a translation of the statement (perhaps one of our Portuguese speaking colleagues might like to correct this for broader circulation.

Dilma wins international support for criticizing U.S. and defend Internet

Luis Osvaldo Grossmann ::
Digital Convergence :: 27.09.2013 ::

When claiming espionage and defend the Internet open, neutral and multi-stakeholder governance in his speech at the UN , Dilma Rousseff garnered attention and allies . In a letter to be delivered on Friday , 27/9 , 58 organizations from 14 countries , including the United States , expressing " strong support " to the words of the president .

In the letter , which can also be signed online ( bestbits.net/brazil-66-unga ) , institutions like consummers International , Electronic Frontier Foundation , Amnesty International , WWW Foundation , Nupef , Free Software Association and FGV " uplift " that Dilma has " taken a leadership role in these matters ."

" We endorse fully the five principles set out in clear agreement with the principles hallmarks of governance and use of the Internet in Brazil , we emphasize the importance of adopting the Marco Civil Internet , laud the courage to disapprove Brazil and charge U.S. explanations on interception illegal data and information, " the letter says.

In case, Dilma listed freedom of expression , privacy multilateral governance , cultural diversity and network neutrality . How did you describe on his Twitter the 'father ' of the Internet in Brazil , and a member of CGI , Demi Getschko " Dilma practically read the Decalogue of the CGI in the opening of the UN " .

Also according to what he told President Dilma on Tuesday in New York , the document , which also has individual subscriptions , argues that the Brazilian model of governance , similar to the Internet Management Committee in Brazil , " is extended to wider spheres . "

See the full text of the ' letter of international organizations of civil society to President Dilma Rousseff to support the speech at the 68th session of the General Assembly of the United Nations ' :

" We, the undersigned organizations and individuals around the world , committed to the development of the Internet and advances in its use for social and economic justice , we would like to express our strong support for the speech made this week by his Excellency the 68th session of the Assembly general of the United Nations . We praise you for taking a leadership role on these issues and would like to :

1. Fully endorse the five principles set out at the time , in clear agreement with the principles of the Brazilian Steering Committee for the governance and use of the Internet ;

2 . To underscore the importance of timely adoption of the Marco Civil Internet in the way that supports these principles and endorse the innovative and democratic process by which it was designed . "

3 . Praise the courage of Brazil expressing disapproval and U.S. demand explanations on the procedures of unlawful interception of information and data , framing them as a serious violation of human rights and civil liberties ;

4 . Strengthen our support for the extension to wider spheres of governance of the Internet experience of Brazilian multistakeholder model of governance, led by CGI.br.

We express our deep appreciation for their serious commitment to social justice and development , including an open Internet , stable and reliable is a cornerstone . "

Read the document : http://bestbits.net/brazil-66-unga/