[IRPCoalition] [bestbits] Position by IT for Change and some other NGOs on enhanced cooperation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Sep 1 10:25:24 EDT 2013

To add to this very important discussion, when we seek new privacy norms
and frameworks, we must also first inspect the current regimes. Just
because vested interests tell us, and some of us are naive to believe
it, it is of course  not true that there are no existing 'policy'
regimes around the global Internet.

What are these.

Just yesterday or so, Facebook said that it is updating its privacy
provisions. This follows a settlement with a US court. Quoting Facebook
spokesperson,
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/29/facebooks-new-rules-change-how-it-treats-your-data-and-who-can-access-it/>
" Facebook is proposing this update as part of a settlement in a court
case relating to advertising."

We can see here that the US state is setting the global privacy norms.
For others, it is a take it or leave it.

Next, the Trans- Atlantic Trade Agreement to be negotiated between the
US and the EU will see some serious give and take on what would become
the global privacy frameworks. The give and take, in the secret and
narrowly self-interest driven processes of pluri lateral trade
agreements, would largely be of a non-normative nature. It will be more
of what do I gain, what can I live with, what people will say when they
know, kind of stuff..... All this of a kind much worse than what happens
in multilateral settings.

The above kind of processes will soon set what would be more or less the
final privacy frameworks for the global Internet.

Do those who so passionately argue for keeping governemnts away from
'Internet regulation', which includes developing and enforcing global
privacy frameworks, really not realise that governemnts, as above, are
already doing it, and solidly so. And the same governments who are
'doing it' so enthusiastically (including through funds) encourage the
'multistakeholder constituency' to fight against regulation of the
Internet, which basically serves the very useful purpose for these
government of keeping the developjng countires away from the levers of
global governance. This is turn helps consolidate the North's
geo-economic and geo-political (and geo-cultural) advantage (more of the
US than of others). So, in whose hands is the civil society really
playing, whether they realise it or not.

In all that is happening on the global privacy regulation front, as
described above, developing countries are simply spectators. They are
told - when we are done, we will let you know. And then, as was done
with CoE's cyber-security agreement or is currently being done with the
OECD's Internet policy making principles, we will ask you to sign on the
pre-agreed policy framework, which you bloody well will do, if you do
not want to be knocked off the global Internet's 'best opportunities'.

I heard the term 'politics of justice' mentioned on this list. Global
justice demands that the bogey of the US and its Northern follower
governments, and of the big global business (and all their allies),
stealthy developing Internet regulation and architecture, behind the
smoke screen of the Internet freedom and multistakeholderism, is called.
This calls for seeking democratic global governance of the Internet,
while being very careful as we suggest and develop new institutions.

Above I discuss just how privacy frameworks - regulation and
architecture - for the global Internet is being developed, and what are
the stakes for those who seek global justice. Similar process are under
way in terms of many other social, economic, cultural and political
issues, of deep importance to the developing countries, and to
marginalised populations. This is the imperative for democratising
global governance of the Internet. Bring out in the open which is
happenning in the background, and have a greater chance of normative
discussions, and greater civil society influence.

parminder