[bestbits] Re: [IRPCoalition] Webinar digest Brazil's role in IG & third issue of Digital Rights LAC

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Thu Oct 3 09:46:35 EDT 2013

Hi Adam & all,

OK, some comments on this. The "BRICs cable" project contemplates
high-capacity links to the USA and Europe, of course. Politically, with
the current situation, the way this will be done is open to question
regarding partnerships, cost sharing, priorities and so on. In no way
this would be just a firewalled point-to-point cable Brazil-China with
stop-overs in SA & India.

This proposal of course is a joint venture involving private sector and
the BRICs' countries, and details of this are not yet available as far
as I know. There are budget constraints in all countries involved (or at
least three of them...), so this is not so simple or so immediate. Also,
Brazil is contemplating or actively involved in the deployment of other
new direct links (Africa, Europe, encircling South America etc).

As in all other new international links Brazil is considering or
participating, the whole idea is to guarantee most direct routes to all
regions in the planet, so that traffic does not need to go through the
USA or Amsterdam or etc whatever its origin/destination. Most large
economies with massive use of the Net (we are about to reach 95 million
users) have the same problem and are considering or practicing a similar
policy. The "Snowden revelations" are just helping to accelerate the
process.

No one here would be naïve to think that BR-USA links should be
disregarded. To the contrary, we need planning to optimize them, and if
other links come online of course there will be more capacity available
for traffic from/to USA.

On 10/03/2013 02:18 AM, Adam Peake wrote:
> Hi Marilia,
>
> Thanks for this report.
>
> Couple of questions about the "BRICS cable".  First, why concern
> about fragmentation ("balkanization"), if I understand correctly the
> idea is not to propose a BRICS firewall, my email will still reach
> you etc, it's not a proposal to censor the net. I think this
> mis-guided and unhelpful to the proposal. Second, any detail of the
> cable: who will build, who are the partners (and has anyone looked at
> the telecom/appropriate law of potential partner countries?  Suspect
> we might not like what we find -- US and UK not alone in having bad
> law.)
>
> Adam
>

> On Oct 3, 2013, at 5:40 AM, Marilia Maciel wrote:
>
>> Sorry for any duplication of this message.
>>
>> To all those that might be interested, I would like to share the
>> summary and the recorded video of the debate "Is Brazil leading a
>> new revolution in global digital policy?", which was co-organized
>> by DiploFoundation and the Center for Technology and Society of FGV
>> Rio de Janeiro.
>> http://www.diplomacy.edu/blog/webinar-digest-brazil-leading-new-revolution-global-digital-policy

I also take the opportunity to share with you that the third issue of
the Newsletter Digital Rights in Latin America and the Caribbean. This
joint initiative from ADC, Fundación Karisma, Derechos Digitales and
CTS/FGV is a very good source of information about key issues and
emerging trends in the regional scenario. It is published in English,
Spanish and Portuguese. http://www.digitalrightslac.net/en/