[bestbits] Outcome of cyberspace conference in Seoul

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Oct 9 10:01:44 EDT 2013

Unrelated to the current thread on the status of these countries.

A few months ago I had a meeting with a few people from the Japanese govt department responsible for Internet policy and we spoke about the Seoul cyberspace conference, its purpose and standing in the circus of international events, and evolution from the London and Budapest conferences.  I was interested to know if it was taking on a more substantive position as an intergovernmental conference for Internet policy, and said that London and Budapest had been too typically northern dominated to have such global standing.  The government person seemed pretty sure that Korea was aware of this, that they did want to raise the standing of the meeting and knew that to do that they had to invite (and make sure people would come) from developing country governments.

I don't know how successful the Korean government's been in this, will be interesting to find out next week. Website claims <http://www.seoulcyber2013.kr/en/about/meeting.html> 100+ participants from 90+ countries (1600+ in Baku and 128 counties, for what that's worth.)

Adam