[bestbits] Re: [IRPCoalition] Webinar digest Brazil's role in IG & third issue of Digital Rights LAC

Anja Kovacs anja at internetdemocracy.in
Thu Oct 3 03:06:44 EDT 2013

Some interesting thoughts from Rick Falkvinge on the BRICS cable here:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2013/09/logical-for-brics-countries-to-build-their-own-internet-infrastructure-circumventing-u-s-surveillance/

It's fascinating to see, however, how the cable is now being projected as a
tool to circumvent US surveillance, while when it was first announced, the
emphasis was on improved global coverage (especially better access for
African countries) and better trade and development relations for BRICS
countries. It may of course well be able to achieve all of these things,
but it's interesting to see how those initially justifications now don't
seem to be receiving too much (media) attention anymore.

Best,
Anja

On 3 October 2013 10:48, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hi Marilia,
>
> Thanks for this report.
>
> Couple of questions about the "BRICS cable".  First, why concern about
> fragmentation ("balkanization"), if I understand correctly the idea is not
> to propose a BRICS firewall, my email will still reach you etc, it's not a
> proposal to censor the net. I think this mis-guided and unhelpful to the
> proposal. Second, any detail of the cable: who will build, who are the
> partners (and has anyone looked at the telecom/appropriate law of potential
> partner countries?  Suspect we might not like what we find -- US and UK not
> alone in having bad law.)
>
> Adam
>

> On Oct 3, 2013, at 5:40 AM, Marilia Maciel wrote:
>
> > Sorry for any duplication of this message.
> >
> > To all those that might be interested, I would like to share the summary
> and the recorded video of the debate "Is Brazil leading a new revolution in
> global digital policy?", which was co-organized by DiploFoundation and the
> Center for Technology and Society of FGV Rio de Janeiro.
> http://www.diplomacy.edu/blog/webinar-digest-brazil-leading-new-revolution-global-digital-policy
> >
> > I also take the opportunity to share with you that the third issue of
> the Newsletter Digital Rights in Latin America and the Caribbean. This
> joint initiative from ADC, Fundación Karisma, Derechos Digitales and
> CTS/FGV is a very good source of information about key issues and emerging
> trends in the regional scenario. It is published in English, Spanish and
> Portuguese. http://www.digitalrightslac.net/en/
> >
> > Best wishes
> >
> > Marília
> >
> > --
> > Marília Maciel
> > Pesquisadora Gestora
> > Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio
> >
> > Researcher and Coordinator
> > Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law School
> > http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts
> >
> > DiploFoundation associate
> > www.diplomacy.edu

Dr. Anja Kovacs