[bestbits] IG on the 24th HRC session

Valeria Betancourt valeriab at apc.org
Mon Oct 7 17:31:36 EDT 2013

Hi Parminder,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to go over our
statement and sharing your thoughts on that.  I would like to thank
you in particular for noting the call out of Pakistan government's
human rights performance. We have done that in the past and will
continue raising those concerns.  And we have also done it in relation
to US violations of human rights:
https://www.apc.org/en/news/us-based-surveillance-and-data-collection-new-un-r
http://bestbits.net/prism-nsa/

In relation to Pakistan's statement (on behalf of a group of
countries) it is important to note that we welcomed it, not denounce it.

What we would have liked to see however, was more commitment from
those governments  - most of whom have long established histories of
violating their citizens' privacy rights -  to transparency and to
changing their own practices. It felt as if they were simply using the
opportunity of the US's poor behaviour to put their enhanced
cooperation agenda on the table, rather than really engaging the human
rights topic under discussion in a substantial way.

An overview of our thinking in relation to enhanced cooperation,
multistakeholder participation and internet governance is reflected in
our submission to the CSTD WGEC:
http://www.apc.org/en/pubs/response-apc-cstd-working-group-enhanced-cooperati

We would appreciate your comments on our submission to the WGEC so we
can discuss them further in Bali.

Looking forward to discuss these topics in person,

Valeria