[bestbits] Logistical note for Best Bits meeting participants

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Oct 17 04:18:06 EDT 2013

While we can do general polito-cultural discussions on various forms of
participatory democracy as they express at various levels in our
societies, and whether MSism is also the same thing or not, we also have
certain clear political imperatives here. And BestBits group is oriented
towards outcomes that specifically contribute to political developments
or landscape around us. This does require convergent efforts while
exploring divergent meaning and perspectives. To that extent, perhaps
one, if not 'the', core question for BB meeting's session could be as
follows

When we seek that Internet governance processes, at national and global
levels, should be multistakeholder, what do we really mean - in
relatively concrete terms. This in general, but also as being
specifically situated in the current landscape of where we are with
global IG - and perhaps separately in different areas, like technical
policy processes, public policy processes, soft law, hard law,
principles development and the such....

A lot of policy makers, including from the North, directly ask us, MSism
is fine, but what is it that you want in terms of processes.... And I
can assure you that what they think as limits of MSism is quite
different from what many here think.... So good to know and talk about
these things. A lot of MS related discussion has simply happened in
obscurity with regard to real meanings and implications..

parminder