[bestbits] Logistical note for Best Bits meeting participants

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Oct 16 06:30:42 EDT 2013

Thank you everyone for your overwhelming interest in the upcoming Best
Bits meeting in Bali that begins this Saturday!  This email is to give
some logistical details about the event.  We are now rather over-full
for the space that we have (and the catering that we have paid for), so
please no more registrations from now on, except for remote participants.

The two-day meeting has been divided roughly into four half-day
sessions, covering just about all of the most critical Internet policy
issues of the moment.  Although the agenda
<http://bestbits.net/bestbits2013> (particularly for Day 1 morning) is
still slightly fluid, we will cover mass government surveillance, the
Brazil/ICANN plan for globalisation of Internet goverernance, Internet
principles, and the processes underway at WSIS+10 and the Working Group
on Enhanced Cooperation, plus more.

One of the important (and distinctive) things about Best Bits is that we
want the meeting to produce concrete outcomes.  Thus every session has a
series of planned output documents or other deliverables that we aim to
produce.  Please take a look at these and come prepared to contribute
productively and supportively.

Where possible, work has already begun online.  Links to working drafts
and background documents are available under the "Papers" heading on the
event page <http://bestbits.net/bestbits2013>, as well as under the tab
"Background papers".  Please read these in advance, and check for new
additions as Saturday approaches.  You can also upload your own
background papers - just click the new "Upload" link near the top of the
page.

The meeting venue is the Mantra Nusa Dua hotel on Jalan Raya Nusa Dua
Selatan, Sawangan, Bali.  The official taxi counter is located outside
the arrivals hall (exit arrivals turn right). You should be paying about
95,000 rupiah to get to the hotel.  Lunches and snacks during the event
will be catered, with thanks to those who contributed money to make this
possible.

After we wrap on Sunday, we have a joint dinner with folks from the Web
We Want initiative at the Nusa Dua Beach Grill
<http://www.letseat.at/NusaDuaBeachGrill>.  It is a private buffet at
own expense, and transport will be provided.  Please bring 200,000
rupiah in cash for your meal (this is about USD$17.60).  If you will be
at Best Bits and *don't* intend to join us at the dinner (but please
do!), then let me know.

If you are a member of the Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/events/432718540170910> or Google+
<https://plus.google.com/events/cn83oe9033vo0h57mr7qngb6ij8> social
networks the event is being shared there, and we are also on Twitter
<https://twitter.com/_bestbits>.  The event itself will also be streamed
on our website <http://bestbits.net/streaming/> (though some sensitive
discussions might be closed off - the openness of our discussions is
itself one of the items for discussion).

Finally if you are not on the main Best Bits mailing list (this seems to
apply to 26 of you, who are bcc'd) please join
<http://lists.bestbits.net/wws/info/bestbits> as list membership is an
indispensable part of participation in the Best Bits network.

If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to tell me
or another member of the interim steering committee.  For those who will
be in Bali we look forward to seeing you soon!

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.