[bestbits] Do we really want to shoot in Dilma's foot?

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Oct 14 23:22:37 EDT 2013

On Oct 15, 2013, at 6:38 AM, Avri Doria wrote:

> On 14 Oct 2013, at 17:14, michael gurstein wrote:
>
>> Schneier is giving the keynote on precisely this issue at the upcoming IETF
>> meeting in November.
>

> And then much time is going to be spent focusing on what needs to be done about it.

and none of the links seem to support the original claim:

>> To add a brief observation, we know from Snowden that the subversion of
>> Multistakeholderism by the NSA has gone to the very heart of Intenet
>> development through its actions around standard setting in the IETF (and the

however <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPsec#Alleged_NSA_interference>, is this part of what the IETF is looking at?  Seems the reaction far from a sign of failure, a pointer to a model working.

NSA (GCHQ) activities have gone to the heart of all communications, NIST, ISO, and have no doubt been doing so since CCITT and whatever came before...

Isn't ultracrepidarianism <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultracrepidarianism> a wonderful word describing how we all often behave online.  I know I'm guilty :-)

Adam