[bestbits] Do we really want to shoot in Dilma's foot?

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Sun Oct 13 12:16:37 EDT 2013

A few months ago Snowden happened, which affected the positions taken by many heads-of-state, including, very clearly, President Rousseff.

As to the idea that NTIA is behind Fadi's meeting in Brasilia - I find this not credible at all: why on earth would the USG welcome a head-of-state-led conference on the role of surveillance in society, especially one organised in Brasilia with the active participation of the Brazilian head-of-state? And, if they would welcome it, all they'd have to do is say so publicly: that would get them a lot of positive visibility. Doing it by proxy gets them nothing.