[bestbits] Re: [governance] Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Oct 10 23:14:58 EDT 2013

On 11/10/13 00:00, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:
> I cannot agree more.
>
> Not only do I share Rafik's skepticism, I also think we should not
> fall into the trap of thinking of ICANN (and the ICANN DNS gold rush)
> as being at the core of the policy-making processes that matter to how
> people access, use, and develop the internet.
>
> That ICANN is now setting broader agendas, along with governments,
> reflects entirely what is problematic with how power and influence
> plays out in IG and I find it alarming.
>
> Definitely agree with Anja and others who say that CS should get
> involved in this debate. A critical perspective is needed now more
> than ever.

My first thought too was that this was opportunism on ICANN's part (and,
heck, probably on Dilma's too), but so what?  When two top leaders have
done more in one day to open the doors to Internet governance reform
than the IGF MAG has done in eight years, hurrah for opportunism - let's
make the most of it.

But I also agree that the proposed letter is a bit light on, and that we
should develop more of an agenda for the event before sending such a
letter.  This can, as Deborah said, be done online and in person at the
Best Bits meeting, and should be an output of the meeting which we open
for endorsements and IGC consensus call then.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.