[governance] [bestbits] Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 17:50:36 EDT 2013

My take is that many in the technical community are feeling appalled and
betrayed by what they/we have learned through Snowden.  These are folks who
helped build the tech of  the Internet not for dotcom millions or to support
one foreign/security policy or another but rather because they believed that
the capacity for networking and communications that they were enabling would
contribute to human betterment (and I would guess, for the sheer joy of
solving the technical problems involved.

They more than anyone else now feel the sting of betrayal both professional
(what were they building) and personal (who was telling them the truth and
who wasn't) and they even more than others realize how much of the Internet
was built on trust and continues to operate on the basis of trust, how
fragile trust is, how quickly it disappears and how difficult it is to
rebuild it (and whatever else relies on it) when it is gone.

The notice from the EFF concerning its withdrawal from the GNI, I just
circulated is perhaps the first among many such formal withdrawals of trust
and long term collaborations because of what has been revealed by Snowden
but most definitely not the last.