[bestbits] Re: [governance] MAG Renewal

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Fri Nov 8 04:23:39 EST 2013

Dear all

For my part, personally and pending responses from IRP Coalition members
who can provide their input too here, I welcome this suggestion.

The MAG needs to be supported, redeemed, and provided with new "juice".

If a viable alternative presents itself then let's hear it but in the
meantime for the coming year an open nomination process across these
groups identifying as civil society for new MAG members strikes me as a
constructive way forward.

best

On 08/11/2013 09:13, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
> <mailto:Kivuva at transworldafrica.com>> wrote:
>
>     +1 Sala. If we are working for the common good of all, this is the
>     way to go.
>
>     Some Questions:
>     1. How easy is it for the consolidated CS to reach a consensus?
>

> [Sala: This is a very good question. The reality is that no civil
> society organisation can purport to represent the views of all civil
> society. However the critical thing to note is that in this instance
> this is not asking for consensus of views on substantive policy
> matters but are more to do with administrative matters pertaining to
> selection of civil society representatives. I am not sure how open
> they will feel about consensus amongst civil society organisations on
> fielding names for committees such as the MAG etc. But it's worth a
> shot. ]
>

>     2. Do all CS groupings represent the same interests?
>
> [Sala: They clearly don't and would be governed by their respective
> articles or objectives as we are governed by the Charter, However,
> because we share more common features than other stakeholder groups,
> it makes sense to have cohesive collaborative framework for things like:-
>
> 1) MS Selection processes;
> 2)Joint Initiatives - Advocacy on mutual issues and priority areas
>

>     Regards
>
>     ______________________
>     Mwendwa Kivuva
>     twitter.com/lordmwesh <http://twitter.com/lordmwesh>
>     google ID | Skype ID: lordmwesh
>

>     On 7 November 2013 18:12, Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro
>     <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
>     <mailto:salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>          Dear IGC, Best bits, APC, Diplo, Internet Rights and
>         Principles Coalition,
>
>         I am not subscribed to other lists so have opted to list the
>         coordinators of these lists instead. In light of the MAG
>         renewal and selections, I would like to invite you to consider
>         whether the idea for a joint NomCom where civil society can
>         channel selections in a consolidated form.
>
>         There should also be a consolidated framework of expected
>         standards of behaviour and deliverables for MAG civil society
>         representatives and in matters of accountability to the civil
>         society at large.
>
>         If it is too late to consider this for this round, it is still
>         something that collectively civil society can communicate to
>         UNDESA if there is consensus for this. This will ensure no
>         "gaming" of systems and will demand accountability and
>         encourage an open and transparent process.
>
>         For the Business community, they are in consensus that the ICC
>         is to facilitate the process. Whilst for civil society there
>         is no consensus on a any single body to represent the
>         selection process, I feel that it is something that should at
>         least be discussed.
>
>         Kind Regards,
>         Sala

> [...]

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
Goldsmiths, University of London
Dept. of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072