Cost-recovery (was: Re: [bestbits] [governance] Ad hoc Best Bits strategy meeting tomorrow lunchtime)

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Nov 7 13:11:51 EST 2013

On Nov 7, 2013, at 3:13 AM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> And somehow all this must be paid for.  UN is slashing budgets, the ITU has no cash, so some global tax likely to be suggested (again.)

Presently the critical Internet resource registries are paid for by
those who directly make use of the registry services (in the case of
DNS, registries and registrars; in the case of IP addresses, the RIRs
collectively pay into ICANN; the IETF protocol parameters are seen as
a nominal cost which is absorbed by the system.)

If we're talking about additional mechanisms needed to keep the various
infrastructure registries running, why wouldn't that be also borne by
the direct registry "customers"? Or are you thinking about costs from
additional mechanisms for discussing Internet public policy matters in
general?

/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone...(No discussion of additional costs or
coverage of same has been held by the ARIN community or ARIN Board.)