[governance] The Value of Net Neutrality Was:Re:[bestbits] Marco Civil vote posponed !

Luca Belli lucabelli at hotmail.it
Thu Nov 7 05:58:24 EST 2013

Hi Adam,

Knowing that President Rousseff has explicitly called
for the creation of a “mechanisms for the worldwide network that are capable of
ensuring principles such as […] the neutrality of the network” it seems essential
to discuss net neutrality at the May meeting.

>The principles the dynamic coalition's developed,
plus other work, might form the basis for a
>discussion at the May meeting,
with a view to a recommendation to form a working group
>(enhancing the
Dynamic Coalition on Network Neutrality) to develop the principles further.

I agree that the creation of a specific working group
could be a good idea in order to further develop the work of the DC NN.
However, let me point out that the model framework (initiated by the Council of
Europe and developed by the DC NN) is not a mere set of principles: it is
rather a techno-legal standard aimed at providing an efficient solution to
protect NN.  In the same way as Internet
standards aim at providing technical specifications that can be used to efficiently
deal with a specific issue (e.g. SIP provides elements to efficiently deal with
multimedia communication sessions), the aim of the model framework is to
provide regulatory specifications to efficiently safeguard NN
(see: http://networkneutrality.info/sources.html
)

>Taking this a bit further, a goal of the May
meeting might be to establish a workplan to address the
>topics discussed
there.  For example an agenda built around President Rousseff's five
>norms/principles,
plus ICANN and IANA reform, might see...
>A recommendation for a working group to refine principles on network
neutrality.

>A working group to develop an institutional framework around the IANA
function.

>A discussion on ICANN reform, but more of a watching brief; a process to
monitor and report on the
>organization's progress responding to the
processes established by the Affirmation of Commitments
>(AoC) with a view
to releasing it from all ties to a single govt., with parallel discussion about
>appropriate future oversight once the intent of the AoC achieved.
>A process established to develop broad human rights framework, perhaps
building on what was
>described during the IGF session on surveillance as
the "Swedish Model" (this might begin to
>address Rousseff's first
principle "Freedom of expression, privacy of the individual and respect
for
>human rights.")

>etc.

To me that looks like an excellent agenda!

All the
best,

Luca

Luca Belli
Doctorant en Droit PublicCERSA,Université Panthéon-AssasSorbonne University