[bestbits] RE: [Follow up of the previous report] Summary I*coalition/dialogue debates

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 13:50:53 EST 2013

Thanks for this Carolina and it is extremely useful.

I've accepted all the edits in the version that you sent and added some
editing (some for English usage and some more substantive) as well as a
number of comments to both articles attached.

I have one general point and two more specific points.

The general point is whether it is in the interests of CS in relation to the
Brazil process to become submerged in the "Dialogue/Coalition". I can see
how it would be to the advantage of the technical and private sector
stakeholders to have such a united front, particularly if it is formulated
on basic principles which they espouse, but I can see no advantage and a
number of disadvantages in CS not maintaining its independence and
developing an independent voice/input into the Brazil meeting including both
the preparatory and follow-up processes.

Further to that I have some question whether CS should be privileging the
IGF as compared to other possible mechanisms in our formulation pre-Brazil
as these documents do.

Finally, I have some question as to whether CS should be aligning itself
with MS processes and MSism as the "statement" does without at least an
attempt to more fully define what in fact MS/MSism is meant to mean in the
context of this document

Best,.

Mike