Multi-Equal Stakeholderism (was Re: [bestbits] Joint civil society endorsements for London meeting of High-Level Panel)

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sat Nov 30 10:45:41 EST 2013

On 30 Nov 2013, at 9:31 pm, McTim <mctimconsulting at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, if someone could guide me to a space where I can find out more about "multi-equal-stakeholderism" and its origins, I'd be grateful - first time I hear about this.
>
> This is a very good question.  I don't know much about non-Internet-y multi-equal-ness, but I think the purest form of multi-equal stakeholderism in IG can be found in some of the RIR PDPs and the IETF processes.

It's an odd choice of example, since many would say the IETF is not multi-stakeholder all, since it does not recognise stakeholder groups.  Where multi-equal stakeholderism is usually used specifically in reference to organisations that do recognise stakeholder groups, to indicate that they should be equal to one another in process terms.  This distinguishes it from forms of multi-stakeholderism like at the OECD and purportedly at the ITU, that don't recognise equality between the stakeholders.  So it's an attempt to refine the term multi-stakeholderism.  I have to say, I don't really like the term though.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.