[bestbits] Best Bits MAG nominations for your approval - URGENT

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Nov 25 10:42:11 EST 2013

On 21 Nov 2013, at 4:45 pm, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> To summarise the current status of discussions as I perceive them:
>
> Rather than picking and choosing between the existing civil society representatives, we should simply support the continuation of all civil society representatives who have served less than a three-year term.
> But if one or more spots are vacant, some affirmative support has been received for the self-nominations of Matthew Shears, Nnenna Nwakanma, Bertrand de la Chapelle to fill them.
> Self-nominations from Ana Perdigao and Imran Ahmed Shah are yet to receive affirmative support.
>
> So, as our contribution, we could add a paragraph simply saying the above to the joint civil society MAG nomination letter (see below).

Sorry for the delay in following up on this.  Taking into account the various process objections, we are going to fall back to a less contentious and more familiar process, which is that of the sign-on letter.  By no means does this mean that Best Bits should limit its actions to sign-on letters, and nor does it imply acceptance of all the objections to the nomination process that we proposed (some of which will be addressed separately).  But it does mean that, with only days to go before the deadline, it makes sense to return to something tried and tested while we work out the kinks.

So a draft letter (or section of a joint letter, that could be submitted with the IGC and Diplo) is at http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/mag-nomination for your consideration.  The nominees shown in the draft letter are those that received affirmative support on this list during the discussion period from at least one person other than themselves.  The nominees also fulfil the criteria that we suggested, which were:
Must be active civil society participants
Should be at least 2 from each of the 5 geographical regions if possible
Should attempt to achieve gender balance
Should include as much diversity as possible; e.g. for skill and knowledge set, age, disability, etc.
Should include people who have shown commitment to keeping CS updated on developments
Should be people who have shown some ability in advocacy with governments and the private sector in order to help achieve CS positions
Earlier the same new nominees shown in the letter (though not the renewing ones, as at that time there was no clear consensus on whether to include them) were also sent to the IGC nomcom for consideration in their own nomination process.  To forestall further procedural debate about this, I just forwarded the names to the IGC in an individual capacity, with Anja also supporting; though we are steering committee members, any individual could have done the same.

The nominations are to be sent to the IGF Secretariat by 1 December, so we will close edits to the draft letter at midnight GMT on 29 November, and open it for endorsements from 1am.  Please let us have your thoughts by then, either by editing the pad or replying on this thread.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.