[bestbits] Proposal by the Government of India to the WGEC

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Sun Nov 24 12:55:45 EST 2013

To be clear: my understanding is that the statement that CSOs did endorse a
set of principles produced within the OECD was challenged. It seems to me -
and, unless I misinterpret the relevant messages, confirmed inter alia by
Jeremy and Wolfgang - that a number of CSOs did indeed endorse a set of
OECD principles which was acceptable to them.

Again if I understand correctly, the point was not on the substance of such
principles but on the legitimacy of policy-making done within "restricted"
environments, especially when such principles / policies have ambitions of
broader adoption; as well as, relatedly, on the approach to be taken
towards broader settings.

Please note that I'm not taking a position either on the OECD principles or
on the related debate re: broader settings.

P.S. I would not be so sure that people outside of the rather small IG
circle (which are, according to some, stakeholders as well) are so clear on
the details of who signed what, when and for which reason.