[bestbits] Steering Group - who are we?

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Sun Nov 3 07:47:30 EST 2013

Dear all

I have taken the liberty of revising the original thread title to
address Parminder's request for more clarity about the BB steering
group, at least from my perspective.

It is an interim steering group in that a number of us (self)nominated
or were nominated to join. I have been on there in an individual
capacity but also on behalf of the IRP Coalition, both capacities still
on an interim basis as setting up Best Bits was done quite quickly and
to date indeed many decisions and actions have taken place at a fast tempo.

So, as is the case with all the various networks we are all
participating in I look forward to this interim group becoming an
endorsed or elected one for all the reasons that Parminder and others
have noted.

To the Statement that Best Bets has authored; this statement, drafted at
the Best Bits pre-IGF meeting in Bali, was indeed released without all
of the Steering Group being present. As it is now a baseline document
for ongoing discussions it now being public can hopefully focus those
discussions as the ICANN-Brazil Summit meeting remains as yet unclear in
terms of participation and intent. To this end, the report that Joana
Varon and others compiled of the Bali meetings is very helpful for us
all to consider.

To me, thinking back over several months of intense email traffic and
output emerging from the Best Bits initiative, perhaps the adage "more
haste, less speed" might be one we could apply within the interim
steering group and as a wider network that dovetails with many others.
Ignoring or overlooking these many others is not the best way forward in
the long run, and it is the long run that matters I think even if things
appear to be happening at breakneck speed. Appearances can be deceiving!

Hope this clarifies things from one Best Bits Steering group member
perspective; I am claiming here to speak for all others. In terms of my
current responsibility towards informing the IRP Coalition of key Best
Bits outputs, the current steering group is working on these procedures
as indeed we must.

best
MF

--
Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
Goldsmiths, University of London
Dept. of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072