[bestbits] Re: [governance] AC MS e-glasnots

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Nov 22 08:47:07 EST 2013

On Nov 22, 2013, at 8:19 AM, JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:

> This document, I interspred with comments, informations, questions gives us a better understanding of the I* society attemps. Of its ideas, targets and limitations. One could only wish that all the published document are referenced on the wiki.1NET I proposed.

I have no idea if 1net will have a wiki; the topic of collaboration tools needed by 1net
seems like an excellent topic for its steering committee to consider, once seated.

I am going to respond to a few of your comments as I have first hand knowledge and
endeavor to share information whenever possible.

The list of leaders who have been participating in the I* meetings are the same as those
who signed the Montevideo Statement - ICANN, ISOC, IAB, IETF, the 5 RIRs, and W3C.
(W3C is the latest addition, approximately 18 months ago or so).  To my, knowledge, the
IEEE leadership has never been present at the I* CEO meetings.

If your reference to an August 2012 statement is to "OpenStand", I will note that it
was not an I* CEO meeting topic during development, nor did ARIN did participate in
any meetings about it - we learned of it nearly concurrently with the announcement.

(In the future, it would be helpful if you stated speculation in the form of a question for
confirmation rather than an assertion of "fact" - thanks!)

>> ·       The meetings are convened and chaired by ISOC, specifically, by me, as ISOC President & CEO, at the request of the other I* organizations. This reflects our broad Mission and the breadth of our organization and responsibilities.
>
> This tells who is the real leader.

Lynn is a indeed a remarkable leader, and she serves as a great Chair for the meetings.
I would, however, characterize the meetings as a gathering of peers; i.e. no single voice
is dominant.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.