[bestbits] Best Bits MAG nominations for your approval - URGENT

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 20:07:38 EST 2013

We've now spent 3 or 4 days discussing/avoiding legitimizing the leadership
structure for BB which is, I would guess, more than enough time for the
current leadership to have gone through a reasonable if accelerated
transparent selection/legitimization process.  This along with your
statement that the reason for this is the "very important processes that are
rolling along", I must say leads inevitably to even more suspicion and
unease as to possible underlying motives for this evident lack of will in
this direction etc. etc.

The fact that the entire self-appointed Steering Committee appears to be
part of an as yet invisible nom-com for selecting for example, the CS rep.
to the HLP makes one even more uneasy.

What Snowden did which is of immediate relevance is to indicate how
significant the Internet is seen by the emergent Surveillance State. As I
discussed quite extensively in a blogpost
<http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/the-open-internet-society-and-its-
enemies-can-multistakeholderism-survive-information-dominance/>  it would be
astonishing if the security apparatus would be systematically looking for
vulnerabilities and ways of subverting Internet processes in global
governments, the private sector and the technical community and would bypass
activities such as those such ours in Civil Society that potentially go to
the heart of the Internet through its potentially emergent structures of
governance as we are currently discussing.

As Ronald Reagan famously said "trust but verify".