[bestbits] Re: [governance] Proposal by the Government of India to the WGEC

McTim mctimconsulting at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 08:25:48 EST 2013

<cc list trimmed>

Andrew,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Andrew Puddephatt
<Andrew at gp-digital.org> wrote:
> As I intend to follow Jon Postel’s adage, this is my last comment on this
> particular theme.
>
> I would never ask anyone to “shut up” as I have worked most of my life to
> support the free expression of views.  But I want BB to be a constructive
> platform for the exchange of everyone’s views and not spiral down as other
> networks have done.

+1 I saw no "shut upittyneess" in your original post.

> My point about OECD and CoE was not that they don’t have influence but that
> I have not seem anyone in civil society defend those institutions as
> appropriate for global policy making.

PJS has been going on about this for a long time. You are correct, no
one is defending the OECD as a MS body or even a policy making body
that CS should be behind.  It seems to be a strawman argument he trots
out from time to time.

If that’s not what you meant I
> apologise for misunderstanding you.
>
> When I talk about a state based body I mean something like the Human Rights
> Council – a group of states elected from within the UNGA – which I fear in
> the current climate will be subject to same geo-political competition that
> leads to human rights abusers being elected to the HRC to the vast detriment
> of human rights.

Agreed.

<snip>

> And finally, on a personal note – please do not, when you reply to people,
> accuse them of bad faith, or imply they believe things that they do not.
> It’s the kind of behaviour that enrages and disillusions people.  We all
> have an obligation to build this community, and this means thinking about
> our responsibilities to each other as well as our rights to speak freely.

+1

Regards,

McTim