[bestbits] Re: [governance] Proposal by the Government of India to the WGEC

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Nov 21 06:37:30 EST 2013

Andrew

I have a strong feeling that you asking me to shut up, and I am not
quite sure that is a good thing to do.

Many here in the last few weeks posted their views on the proceedings of
the WGEC, triggering a very legitimate and needed debate. Some of them
directly referred by name to positions presented by me/ my organisation
which is also quite fair because we are all in a public space and people
need to be able to say whatever they want to (apart from some obnoxious
personal comments by Adam which is where I think IGC and BB group
responsibility-holders should be focussing; which they regrettably have
let pass.) What I cant understand is why in your view should I not be
able to present and defend my views, the below being my very first email
on the issue.

my responses below...

On Tuesday 19 November 2013 08:37 PM, Andrew Puddephatt wrote:

> I don’t normally respond to these discussions but occasionally I feel

I think one should enter a debate with enough respect for those who are
engaging in it....

> that straw men are being put up to be knocked down so I wanted to pick
> up on this and set out my own thoughts.

You think speaking about OECD and CoE's (council of europe) 'global'
public policy activities is a straw man? Well. one of the most pointed
interventions made by Carlos during the recent WGEC meeting was that
developing countries resent global IG done through processes like the
CoE's cybercrime treaty which was first negotiated among a few
countries, and then sought to be exported to others.... Brazil took the
floor to support Carlos' intervention. Later, India referred to OECD
developing Principles for Internet Policy Making. You think they were
all putting up strawmen? I am disappointed that such an important
position of developing countries against developed country based
"global' public policy making, especially in the IG space, is being
dismissed  in such a summary and disdainful manner.

> Firstly I’m not aware of anyone defending the OECD process of policy
> making as the model we should follow – maybe I missed that on the
> thread at some point – but it passed me by.  People have been
> supportive of the changes it has made to become more multi-stakeholder
> ( rather than promoting it as the example of best practice) -
> certainly no-one I know who argues for a multi-stakeholder approach
> has positively supported the OECD’s approach – which in any case
> requires voluntary adoption of standards rather than produce anything
> binding.
>
> With the Council of Europe, this is a regional treaty body – not
> global – which was created in the wake of fascism in 1945 to promote
> human rights and democracy in Europe.  It has a specific geographic
> focus and essentially sets out standards which it is for nation states
> to adopt – it does bind member states who have to consent to the
> norms.  It sits alongside the African Union and the Inter-American
> Commission in this respect (both of which have developing countries in
> their membership).  In the field of human rights protection, with the
> court in Strasbourg, it has proved very effective and its data
> protection provisions have also been helpful.  Human rights is part of
> its DNA - but it is not a governance model for the internet and no one
> I know claims it to be.
>
> The concern I hear about the creation of a state based body to run the
> internet

What kind of state based body to 'run the Internet' you allude to, and
who proposed it.... BTW, do you think that OECD by making Internet
policy principles 'runs the Internet', or US through its ICANN/IANA
oversight role, and jurisprudence over the companies which are 70
percent of the Internet, 'runs the Internet'..... Or, is it that such
loaded terms are to be used only for processes that may include poor,
developing countries? (Accompanied by shutting up any counter-discourse
by calling it various names as your email is full of...)

> is not that it would give developing countries a voice – that’s a goal
> we all share – but because the example of bodies like the Human Rights
> Council, which has become a place where governments seek to prevent
> human rights standards from being enforced, rather than a place where
> positive policies are pursued. Of course the HRC has done good work –
> but it is a relentless diplomatic battle to hold the line.  In the
> most recent elections Saudi Arabia, Russia, China and Cuba were all
> elected unopposed and I can tell you that very few people in the broad
> human rights movement are comforted by that.

Yes that is a problem. However, no less is the problem of US's dominance
and role in OECD, TPP, kind of global IG processes, for instance its
insisting that net neutrality should be removed from OECD principles,
and it pushing in overly strong IP protections and some clear pointers
to private policing by ISPs in the same Principles document.... We
cannot just keep using the 2-3 names of these above countries that you
mention to discredit anything and everything that the UN or developing
countries in general do or propose. Speaking of repeating old hackneyed
arguments, as you do below, this one would any day take the cake in
global IG space,

> My feeling about Best Bits is that the majority of participants want
> to figure out – working collaboratively and constructively – how we
> can contribute to the development of an open internet that supports
> democracy and human rights.

I have no doubt that this is what we and networks that we work with are
most interested in.... Democracy btw does not admit vote or veto power
for business reps in public policy making . And human rights go much
beyond FoE and privacy and cover so many social, economic and cultural
issues...

> Most of us think that involving all stakeholders is crucial to that
> though we all recognise the difficulties inherent in such a process.
> I suggest that those of us who want to undertake this work get on with
> it and those who want something else get on with that.  It’s a big
> world and there’s room for all opinions.

IT for Change works closely on the ground to promote participatory
democracy In India, I would not get into pressing that point too much
here... BTW, since you may have missed it, just one thing - it is we who
suggested adding 'Multi-stakeholder' (MS) term to the erstwhile Advisory
Group of the IGF, it is we who worked with India on the famous "India
proposal' during the meetings of WG on IGF improvements and actually
were able to get almost all developing countries to agree to
strengthening IGF (at least over the first year of WG IGF), whereas you
may want to check more on what the so called MSists were doing then....
'India proposal' and ITfC's proposal strongly pushed for recs giving
power for the IGF, strengthening MAG to a much more substantial role,
including working through WGs and so on..... You dont think that would
amount to working on strengthening the multistakeholder approach....

Just because you have created a strawman of multilateralism versus
MSism, are you suggesting that MLists, *as defined by you* should move
elsewhere and this is a space for MSists to work.....

> I also feel that the Best Bits platform (not organisation) has been a
> way in which many new people have been able to enter the conversation
> about IG and internet policy issues but that there is a danger if the
> sterile nature of current discussions continues, they will driven
> away.  (Several participants at Bali said they did not want BB to go
> the way of the IGC.)  I think we have thoroughly aired the different
> views on multi-lateral v multi-stakeholder so can we move on and do
> the work we each want to do

No, we havent... But if you think we are all clear about what is MSism
and what is MLism (whereby, as you say, we should move on), may I ask
you whether MSism includes business reps voting in making actual
decisions about substantive public policy issues. A simple direct
question, and if you are not clear about any element of it I can
clarify...  If your answer is yes, I am not a MSist, if it is no, I am
as MSist as you or anyone else is. If you give me an answer to this
question, I promise I'll move on -- depending on your answer with the MS
brigade or the MList one...

> though of course – to be clear – anyone is free to post anything they
> want.

Thanks, but your email really doesnt sound you are too happy that I put
my side of what I think were and are important issues following the WGEC
meeting, and also as we move forward.

>   I wish those proposing an inter governmental model the best but I
> will be supporting something  different to you.

As per the above, I really do not know what do you mean by an inter-gov
model.... If its identifying feature is that business reps will not be
able to vote or veto with regard to substantive public policy issues,
then yes I am proposing an inter-gov model (for me, all stakeholders
should be an important part of all  pre decision making processes, which
for me is an MS approach)..... And since you say, you'd support
'something different', may I know whether in your model business will
have vote/ veto power in terms of substantive public policy matters...

> In addition, for myself, I would like to see a younger, dynamic policy
> leadership emerge in this field so that we don’t just see the same old
> voices rehashing the same arguments that have been around for 10 years
> or more.

How many different ways you have used to tell me not to present my views
:). It is really ingenious of you.

parminder