[bestbits] Best Bits MAG nominations for your approval - URGENT

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Wed Nov 20 08:04:02 EST 2013

Dear all

Could I suggest that all the names of anyone going up for the MAG from
both current slates (i.e. run by the IGC and being collated through Best
Bits) be posted so that we can inform other networks of who is standing.

Whether they are looking to stand as an IGC nominee or Best Bits nominee
can be noted.

Ongoing, and important discussions about the Best Bits governance
structure need to continue, and as a member of the interim BB Steering
as well as co-Chair of the IRP Coalition I support the need for clarity
here too. But right at this moment as the list and candidates form, it
would be good for anyone else considering standing for the MAG to know
who is currently doing so. If a person is standing in two places could
they nominate which one they are opting for too to save space and time?

Also, I join those affirmations of the work done by all standing MAG
members, in this case from civil society, who are continuing. Thank you
all for the hard and often unrewarded and unrelenting work on this group.

best
MF

On 20/11/2013 10:17, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> (Replying from phone.) I had suggested off this list that we omit any
> mention of the incumbent MAG members and limit our candidates to those
> who will fill slots that will be open anyway. If we clarify that we
> support the continuation of the candidates who are eligible for
> continuing, and drop the specific candidates mentioned, this may help?
>
> --
> Jeremy Malcolm PhD LLB (Hons) B Com
> Internet and Open Source lawyer, consumer advocate, geek
> host -t NAPTR 5.9.8.5.2.8.2.2.1.0.6.e164.org <http://e164.org>|awk -F!
> '{print $3}'
>
> *WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
> recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
> instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.
>

> On 20 Nov 2013, at 6:10 pm, Poncelet Ileleji <pileleji at ymca.gm
> <mailto:pileleji at ymca.gm>> wrote:
>
>> Hello Colleagues,
>>
>> Good day, I think its important for continuity especially as in my
>> opinion  the current CS MAG members are doing a great work and have
>> really put in a lot of time to this  , I concur will Bill and
>> strongly belief in the overall continuity of all current CS MAG members
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Poncelet
>>

>> On 20 November 2013 10:05, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch
>> <mailto:william.drake at uzh.ch>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi
>>
>>     Just woke up and am rushing to a meeting but would appreciate
>>     clarification.  When was the call for nominations, when was the
>>     deadline for submission, and when was the period in which list
>>     members then expressed views either way before you decided to go
>>     ahead?  Some of us are a bit busy in Buenos Aires dealing with
>>     Brazil meeting and such and are awash in a tidal wave of
>>     communications and meetings, so I at least missed all this.
>>
>>     By selecting these six names, including just two current CS MAG
>>     members, do you wish to convey to the Secretariat and DESA that
>>     you do not support the continued participation of all the current
>>     CS MAG members not listed, irrespective of the time and work
>>     they’ve put in, how long they’ve been been on it, etc?
>>
>>     It seems unduly abrupt, so please note my objection as well.
>>
>>     Thanks
>>
>>     Bill
>>
>>     On Nov 20, 2013, at 4:15 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org
>>     <mailto:jeremy at ciroap.org>> wrote:

>>>     We have not chosen the MAG nominees, we have simply collected
>>>     the nominations, suggested criteria that could be used to
>>>     evaluate them, and forwarded them back to the main list with a
>>>     recommendation.  Although your objection was noted, most others
>>>     were comfortable with this process and since we do not have
>>>     voting or membership as such, we decided to go ahead.  If
>>>     appropriate your objection could probably be noted in some way
>>>     in the letter that goes to the MAG.
>>>
>>>     --
>>>
>>>     *Dr Jeremy Malcolm
> [...]

Professor Marianne Franklin
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
Goldsmiths, University of London
Dept. of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072