[bestbits] Best Bits MAG nominations for your approval - URGENT

Anja Kovacs anja at internetdemocracy.in
Wed Nov 20 02:57:52 EST 2013

Dear Parminder and all,

I'd like to add to Jeremy's message that this is not about process
entrenchment - it is about getting something on the rails. As Best Bits is
an action-oriented network, it makes sense for us to nominate people who
support, nurture and provide feedback back into that work. At least as far
as I am concerned, trying this out this year immediately made clear some of
the things that will possibly need to be done differently in the future.
For example, we might want to add a criterion that candidates should have
been involved in Best Bits in some capacity or the other (even just by
contributing on email lists), so that the reasons why Best Bits
specifically should support their candidature is more evident upfront.

In fact, if supporting, nurturing and feeding back into Best Bits work is a
crucial criterion to be nominated with the support from Best Bits, I think
we should definitely add the name of Bill Drake to the above list, and
support his renewal. Not only is Bill always ready to share information
about the MAG and IGF (and many other fora he is involved in) online, he
also is always ready to meet, update and provide info for those who travel
to Geneva personally and don't know the ins and outs of processes there
themselves. For these reasons, I would like to propose that we add his name
to the above list as well.

Best,
Anja

On 20 November 2013 12:45, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> On 20 Nov 2013, at 1:25 pm, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>
> As said before, I do not agree to steering committee choosing MAG
> nominees, or other kinds of reps, or next steering committee's membership,
> and so on.... These are serious. important issues which should have a
> clear, transparent, accountable and thus legitimate process around it. And
> I dont see that in place.
>

> We have not chosen the MAG nominees, we have simply collected the
> nominations, suggested criteria that could be used to evaluate them, and
> forwarded them back to the main list with a recommendation.  Although your
> objection was noted, most others were comfortable with this process and
> since we do not have voting or membership as such, we decided to go ahead.
>  If appropriate your objection could probably be noted in some way in the
> letter that goes to the MAG.
>
> --
>

> *Dr Jeremy MalcolmSenior Policy OfficerConsumers International | the
> global campaigning voice for consumers*
> Office for Asia-Pacific and the Middle East
> Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur,
> Malaysia
> Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
>
> Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub
> |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone
>
> @Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org |
> www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
>
> Read our email confidentiality notice<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>.
> Don't print this email unless necessary.
> *WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
> recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
> instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.

Dr. Anja Kovacs
The Internet Democracy Project

+91 9899028053 | @anjakovacs