[bestbits] Best Bits MAG nominations for your approval - URGENT

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Nov 20 00:25:51 EST 2013

Dear BestBits Steering Committee

I know all of the below people  and they make excellent candidates for
MAG...

However, I remain strongly opposed to BestBits' process of choosing reps
or nominees.

This is a process designed by the steering committee itself and applied
by it without due authorisation from the members of BestBits.

In IGC perhaps a lot did not happen because the large majority of those
present were a little apathetic to the general processes and did not
proffer their views actively on things. (Maybe that is a structural
condition of open online groups.)  That was bad and affected IGC's
effectiveness since things could move forward only with clearer and
stronger engagement of enough members. We needed enough mass for a rough
consensus to change things or just to move them forward.

What I see on BestBits is that similar lack of strong engagement by
members (are there even any members, bec this is being called a
members-less *platform*) is being used to unilaterally make up whatever
processes and start applying it.

As said before, I do not agree to steering committee choosing MAG
nominees, or other kinds of reps, or next steering committee's
membership, and so on.... These are serious. important issues which
should have a clear, transparent, accountable and thus legitimate
process around it. And I dont see that in place.

I had objected to this process a few days back and surprised to see that
it still went ahead...

(Jeremy, did you not say on the private list that 'lets put process
issues on hold' and get on with substantive matters. It is with this
sensitivity that I have not responded to process related issues
recently. But was it to just stop any critical views on process, which
process formation and entrenchment just goes forward.)

parminder

PS: Niether I nor any othee member of my organisation has sought
nomination to MAG...