[bestbits] Re: [governance] Proposal by the Government of India to the WGEC

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 16:34:46 EST 2013

Many governments experience internal tensions in those issues. Between
foreign Affairs ministries and Justice/interior/home affairs or
communications ministries, etc...

Which is normal given their diverse points of views and responsibilities.

B.

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org>wrote:

>  Dear Anja
>
> Thank you for this.
>
> I followed the meeting remotely (which was really hard as I could not get
> the webcast but I could follow the transcript) and noticed this similarity
> with the CIRP proposal and the IT For Change proposal.
>
> Could it be differences between ministries?
>
> I have had a sense that in the case of India, similar to South Africa, the
> ministry of foreign affairs agenda has not always been fully cleared with,
> or co-developed with, the ministry of communications.
>
> Ministries of foreign affairs usually try to plug in issue specific
> matters into a broader foreign policy agenda. Sometimes this works will for
> the line ministries, sometimes not.. or sometimes they are just a but left
> out of the loop.
>
> But I think we should also allow for the fact that all governments,
> including some of those most committed to multi-stakeholder participation,
> should be watched carefully, not just those who openly put a multi-lateral
> model on the table. Often governments pay lip service to
> 'multi-stakeholder' models but they are quite comfortable also working in
> multi-lateral frameworks and mashing them up in their speeches and inputs
> without really concretising what they mean by multi-stakeholder IG.
>
> That is why as CS we need to be really vigilant and demand very clear
> commitments and mechanisms that allow us to be integrally part of proposed
> solutions.
>
> Anriette
>

> On 18/11/2013 10:22, Anja Kovacs wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> As I thought this would be of interest to many people on these lists, I
> wanted to share a short blog post about the proposal for EC India made to
> the WGEC (see below this message and here:
> http://internetdemocracy.in/2013/11/is-india-reviving-its-un-cirp-proposal/)
>
> Over the past year, for various reasons, the earlier UN CIRP proposal
> seemed to be off the table and Kapil Sibal, Minister of Communications and
> Information Technology, in particular had become increasingly vocal about
> his support for multistakeholder models for Internet governance. However,
> during the meeting of the WGEC earlier this month, the Indian government
> again tabled a proposal for a multilateral Internet policy to be
> established under the UN, very similar to the earlier UN CIRP.
>
> Comments most welcome.
>
>  Best,
> Anja
>
>  Is India reviving its proposal for a multilateral UN body to take over
> the governance of the Internet?  by Anja Kovacs
>
> *Recent events at the UN CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation give
> the strong impression that this is indeed the case. *
>
> In a submission to the Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation (WGEC)<http://unctad.org/en/Pages/CSTD/WGEC.aspx>,
> which met for the second time in Geneva last week, the Indian government
> recommended the following:

> [...]

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Internet & Jurisdiction Project Director, International Diplomatic Academy (
www.internetjurisdiction.net)
Member, ICANN Board of Directors
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")