[bestbits] Re: [governance] High-Level Panel Organizes to Address Future of Internet Governance

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Nov 18 00:36:22 EST 2013

On Nov 18, 2013, at 1:40 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

>> So it seems that ICANN has taken it upon itself to select the civil society
>> representatives
>
> Are they "representatives"?

I don't believe that any of them are there in anything other than their
individual capacity.  I certainly don't consider them a priori to be
representative of my views, but I will welcome their report and hope
to find it informative in some manner.

Note - there's nothing to prevent another group from forming a "Higher-
Level Panel on the Future of Internet Governance" (or a "Lower-level
Panel" or "Panel of the True Experts on Internet Governance"), and
then producing their own report for input to the Brazil meeting.  I
thought that the announcement of this particular panel may be of some
interest to the CS community and hence my email.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimers: My views alone; no panel was consulted in their preparation.