[bestbits] Fwd: [berkmanfriends] New Internet Monitor report: "Measuring Internet Activity: A (Selective) Review of Methods and Metrics"

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 09:54:11 EST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rebekah Heacock <rheacock at cyber.law.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Subject: [berkmanfriends] New Internet Monitor report: "Measuring Internet
Activity: A (Selective) Review of Methods and Metrics"
To: Berkman Friends <berkmanfriends at eon.law.harvard.edu>

Dear Berkfriends,

The announcement will go public later this morning, but the Internet
Monitor team wanted to give you all a sneak peek at our new paper, an
exploration of current efforts to measure digital activity within three
areas: infrastructure and access, control, and content and communities.

Cheers,
Rebekah

*New Internet Monitor report: "Measuring Internet Activity: A (Selective)
Review of Methods and Metrics"*

Internet Monitor <http://thenetmonitor.org/> is delighted to
announce<http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/internetmonitor/?p=1131> the
publication of "Measuring Internet Activity: A (Selective) Review of
Methods and Metrics," <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/8642/> the second
in a series of special reports that focus on key events and new
developments in Internet freedom, incorporating technical, legal, social,
and political analyses.

"Measuring Internet Activity," authored by Robert Faris and Rebekah
Heacock, explores current efforts to measure digital activity within three
areas: infrastructure and access, control, and content and communities:

This paper seeks to describe the conceptual and practical impediments to
measuring and understanding digital activity and highlights a sample of the
many efforts to fill the gap between our incomplete understanding of
digital life and the formidable policy questions related to developing a
vibrant and healthy Internet that serves the public interest and
contributes to human wellbeing. Our primary focus is on efforts to measure
Internet activity, as we believe obtaining robust, accurate data is a
necessary and valuable first step that will lead us closer to answering the
vitally important questions of the digital realm.

The full paper is available for download at SSRN: "Measuring Internet
Activity: A (Selective) Review of Methods and
Metrics"<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2353457>

*About Internet Monitor*
Internet Monitor is a research project to evaluate, describe, and summarize
the means, mechanisms, and extent of Internet content controls and Internet
activity around the world. The project will compile and curate data from
multiple sources, including primary data collected by the Berkman Center
and our partners, as well as relevant secondary data. Internet Monitor will
create a freely available online fact base that will give policy makers,
digital activists, and user communities an authoritative, independent, and
multi-faceted set of quantitative data on the state of the global Internet.
The project will also produce annual reports that compile this information
and provide expert analysis on the state of the global Internet.

*Contact*
info at thenetmonitor.org

--
Rebekah Heacock
rebekahheacock.org | @rebekahredux | +1-617-384-9141 | Skype:

Reminder: emails sent through this list are considered on-record unless
otherwise noted.

--
*Carolina Rossini*
*Project Director, Latin America Resource Center*