[governance] [bestbits] DISCLOSURE REQUEST Re: Funding Available for Strengthening Civil Society...

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Nov 9 11:41:35 EST 2013

Hi,

I tend to agree with this.

Personally I would want to ban everyone with funding from Ford, because I hate Ford based on their history and think they should not be allowed to buy respectability through grants for good work.  I seethe  whenever I see their name and think of WWII and a friend whose Pinto blew up. But so what?

And I am sure that many  who donate to Clinton's CGI have horrible histories of colonialism, exploitation and other horrible crimes and complicities.  but so what?

These people donate to NGO so that good works can be done.  Should that good work be condemned?  How esle would advocacy and good works be done?

Likewise with countries.  They may be or have been, the biggest empires or state criminals in history, but if they donate to work that improves the world, those who do the work to improve the world should not be condemned.

Whether we like it or not, NGOs and other do-gooders would not have a chance without the patronage of these Dukes and Princesses.

I agree with those that say the whereabouts of money should be disclosed. Everyone's money - our funders should be known.  But I disagree with anyone who says that a source disqualifies anyone.  What disqualifies someone is their actions.  Do they behave badly?  Do they bully or support bullies? Do they favor their patrons?  We need disclosure so we can all be watchdogs over each other and call each other out when we behave wrongly.

But we don't need witch hunts.  Lets look at the work people do and they way they treat others, not at which criminal has supported their work.

avri

Disclosure: currently my funding comes from a contract with dotgay LLC, an commercial applicant for a community run gTLD, who guarantee to give 67% of their profits for LGBTQI causes - at this point, before they have any profits, I am the cause they support.  i also get paid to write various thingies, but have no open contracts at the moment. (no that is not really an job search)