[bestbits] RES: IGF and the Brazilian proposal to WPF on Operationalising the Role of Governments in Internet Governance Processes

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sun May 26 05:16:14 EDT 2013

Hi

This was part of why I was reluctant about the sign on proposal to hitch the idea of IGF debating opinions to the vehicle of the failed Brazilian WTPF text.  They don't want it, nor to move the action-oriented discussion of the ITU's role to IGF.   But Markus wants to invite Brazil to generate a new input doc that could serve as the basis for the session on role of governments in multistakeholderism.  That'd be useful, especially if some other developing country governments could be brought on board.

Meanwhile USG is submitting to ITU Council a doc building on last year's proposal from Sweden to open the ITU CWG-Internet to observers.  Presumably we might like something more than the restrictive "open participation" afforded at WTPF, so maybe a sign on about that would be useful…?  Council meets 11-21 June.

Cheers

Bill

On May 25, 2013, at 4:59 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> Forwarding with permission, in relation to the discussion of Brazil's proposal at the IGF.  Those who are on the MAG could circulate this on the MAG list too, if that would be helpful.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Alexandre Scudiere Fontenelle <alexandre.fontenelle at itamaraty.gov.br>
>> Subject: RES: IGF and the Brazilian proposal to WPF on Operationalising the Role of Governments in Internet Governance Processes
>> Date: 24 May 2013 1:27:43 AM GMT+08:00
>> To: Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org>
>> Cc: Joana Varon <joana at varonferraz.com>, Divisão da Sociedade da Informação - Itamaraty <di at itamaraty.gov.br>, Benedicto Fonseca Filho <benedicto.fonseca at itamaraty.gov.br>
>>
>> Dear Jeremy,
>>
>> Thank you for your e-mail.
>> Regarding the proposal to discuss in the IGF 2013 the opinion Brazil presented in the last WTPF meeting, we would like to make some considerations:
>>
>> The opinion presented by Brazil contains two key ideas, namely: (a) recognition of the need to operationalize the role of governments in the multistakeholder model, and (b) the possibility that ITU could contribute to this through training and capacity building, within its competence.
>>
>> We recognize and support the legitimacy and usefulness in discussing point (a) in the IGF. We believe, moreover, that this discussion should take place not only in the IGF, but in all fora and institutions related to Internet governance, and it should not be limited to operationalizing the role of governments, but should include disussions on how to strengthen the participation of the other stakeholders as well, in order to improve the operation of the system as a whole.
>>
>> With regard to point (b), although it may also be discussed in the IGF, it does not seem right to shift the discussion there, since any decision about ITU involvement  in capacity  building and training initiatives, in areas of its competence, could only be taken by ITU itself and is subject to the approval of its members. Nevertheless, we agree that while discussing point (a), we could mention the opinion proposed by Brazil as an example of initiatives aimed at finding solutions to ensure that all stakeholders are appropriately participating in the Internet Governance model.
>>
>> Brazil will continue to work with other countries and with all concerned stakeholders in order to enhance the proposal which would eventually be forwarded again to ITU, possibly in the CWG-Internet. In this regard, we would like to highlight that Secretary-General Hamadoun Touré affirmed he would propose that further discussions on the subject, within the CWG-Internet, should take place with participation of all stakeholders, in a format similar to that used in the Informal Expert Group (IEG) meeting that prepared the opinions examined by WTPF.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Alexandre Scudiere Fontenelle
> [...]

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer