AW: [bestbits] Re: [IRPCoalition] [governance] Request for comment on proposal for IGF multistakeholder opinions

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sun May 19 06:15:51 EDT 2013

Hi everybody,

here is another perspective:

The problem for some governments is that they want to have "one single place/space" where they can discuss and decide (with other governments) upon Internet Governance issues. There are a lot of governments which do not like neither the GAC (where they have only ad advisory capacity) nor the IGF (where they are one stakeholder among others without any decision making capacity). They mistrust the other I*organisdations as IETF, IAB, IEEE. W3C, RIRS because as governments they have only little to contribute. For them the only remaining option is the UN General Assembly (via the UNCSTD) and the ITU (via the CWG). The Russian delegate made this rather clear in the final WTPF Plenary when he called for "one single body" be pointing to the ITU Council WG on Inernet related Public Policy Issues.

This will not work. It is simply impossible to "centralize" all public policy related Internet issues in one body. Different bodies will take partial elements into their agendas but they are dependent of (and have to collaborate with) other governmental and intergovernmental bodies (which leads to enhanced cooperation in a process of "enhanced communication, coordination and collaboration/EC³).

You need two for a tango and a lot of governments do not want to discuss IG related issues within the ITU context. And as a number of governments has said during the WTPF they they can not make decisions within the ITU  without consulting at home private sector and civil society. This does not mean that the ITU has no role top play anymore but a subatnatial number of governments would support ITU more if it would - within its limited mandate - broaden its engagement in building infrastructure enabling more access or/and become more engaged in capacity building via training and education both of governmental experts and the broader public to enable more qualified participation (in particular from developing coubntries) in Internet PDPs.

In my eyes the WTPF made rather clear that the ITU has only little to do (and to say) if it comes to Internet POLICY development. It remains to be seen what the ITU Council in June 2013 will decide, what the ITU will do with the WSIS 10+ process and how they move towards Busan 2014. Will they continue and expand 101, 102 and 133 or will they moving forward by identifying what their (reduced but workable) core Internet policy business will be between 2014 and 2018?

What is needed is another more general discussion to clarifiy who should do what in the IG ecosystem and how the various governmental- and non-governmental actors work together and share duties and responsibilties. Next to the IGF, the UNCSTD WGEC could become such a space where more clarification can be achieved. One of the first task the WGEC should carry out is a "Mapping of the Internet Governance Eco-System". Together with the "Compendium on Internet Governance Principles", which is now under discussion in the MAG WG IGP, both documents could help to move the whole discussion forward and to identify gaps and "to do lists".

wolfgang