[bestbits] Civil society statement to the ITU Sec-Gen ahead of WTPF 2013 - PLEASE ENDORSE AND SHARE

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri May 10 15:05:48 EDT 2013

Jeremy and all,

Thanks for this and I recognize the limitations of time and attention which
framed the participation in the development of this document however I'ld
like to make a few comments on it as it stands and express some reservations
on it and the process going forward.

The overall document, as with the earlier document to which it refers and
from which it draws, seems to be primarily (the earlier document
exclusively) concerned with "process" matters and specifically with "opening
up" the ITU meeting and documentation to broader scrutiny and participation
specifically by Multi-stakeholders/civil society but presumably by others as
well.

It is hard to fault this as an objective.  However, I do have some concerns
about it being THE objective.

This document belows differs I believe from the earlier (November) document
by listing some of the substantive areas where CS might make a contribution
and this also can not be faulted.  However, in (dare I say what appears to
be hastily) constructing this list and presumably indicating the areas where
CS could make a useful and even "expert" contribution the authors on several
occasions refer to the "cost" or "affordability" of access as an issue
whereas those with a direct involvement in these matters are aware that
"cost" is only one of a range of issues -- language, literacy, cost of
devices, availability ("extension" not "expansion") of infrastructure,
training, and so on -- which limit access by those with low incomes and this
is not even to speak about inequalities in opportunities, supports and means
to make effective use of the Internet once access is available.

The list then goes on to include "development" as an issue--without
indicating development of who, of what, where, how, why etc.etc.

Thus while the "process" issues are well and extensively covered, the
substance related section is dare I say, rather skimpy and even dangerously
misleading. (A simple reference to the CS WSIS Declaration(s) would have
helped to overcome these limitations.

I have in other contexts recently had occasion to note that it was incumbent
on those offering opinions "to do as they say" and I think that this should
hold for CS/BB as stringently as it does to others and in this particular
instance the outcome of not following transparent and inclusive processes of
text development has I believe led to the creation of a document which I
personally have significant reservations in signing onto and where I would
most certainly not recommend to my (for example) community informatics
colleagues as something to which they might want to adhere.

One final point, while neither the WCIT nor it appears the WTPF are being
framed in the context of WSIS +10 this latter meeting is likely to be of
greatest significance as it will address the substantive issues of most
direct concern to traditional CS -- access and use, content and language,
human rights and free expression, equality and social justice -- if, of
course, those looking to influence the WSIS +10 agenda allow for such a wide
ranging discussion (rumours have it that the OECD countries are pushing for
a very limited and mild "forward looking" celebratory agenda for WSIS +10
for example.

Mike