[bestbits] Best Bits meeting plans for the 2013 IGF

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Mar 14 03:07:42 EDT 2013

Hello all,

This is to follow on from Andrew's summary of the informal Best Bits
meeting in Paris.  If you can't find it, it is available in the web
archives of this list at http://lists.igcaucus.org/arc/bestbits.
(Thanks also to Deborah for forwarding the notice about the short
deadline for IGF workshop proposals.)

On the basis of suggestions and offers made so far, here is what we are
proposing for Best Bits in 2013.  It follows from the discussions in
Paris, but is just a rough outline and it is still open for your comments:

  * A two-day pre-IGF Best Bits meeting on the weekend of 19-20 October
    in Bali, with an overall theme around a positive agenda for Internet
    governance, which (like last time) will split into two very
    practical agenda items, one of them substantive ("what we want"),
    and the other procedural ("how we can get it"):
      o Identifying common civil society strategies for advancing a
        human rights Internet.  This can incorporate related initiatives
        such as the IGF MAG's newly-established Internet principles
        working group, and the "Web We Want" initiative that a number of
        those from this list are involved with.
      o A positive agenda for the evolution of Internet governance
        arrangements.  This will tie in with the work of the CSTD
        Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation.  The output of this would
        be a common civil society position on an enhanced cooperation
        mechanism or process (perhaps IGF-based) that we could support.
  * Two public IGF workshops that would present each of the two agenda
    items above to a wider audience, and would include participation by
    representatives of the other stakeholder groups.  Global Partners is
    working on text for the workshop proposals, and will post them for
    comment when ready.

Meanwhile I am fundraising now to get some more travel funds for those
who will need it, and indeed to broaden the funding base compared to
last time.  The funds will also be used for a permanent website,
including a rather sophisticated event calendar, which will begin as a
rather less sophisticated event calendar, and grow features progressively.

If you have any comments on the above outline please share them.  Thanks!

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

WCRD 2013 -- Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map:
https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational